Innovate Blog
Bunzl Catering Supplies and Rubbermaid support Nia Children’s Foundation charity

Thursday August 8, 2019

To celebrate 10 years of the Nia Children’s Foundation, a charity set up and managed by BCS National Account Manager Shezmin Madhani, BCS has teamed-up with Rubbermaid to run a special sales promotion, which if successful, will see Rubbermaid make a significant cash donation to the charity.

Inspired by a trip to Kenya when she was only 21 years old, Shezmin founded Nia Children’s Foundation to help keep Kenyan children in school by providing them with a proper breakfast and lunch daily. The name Nia comes from the Swahili language and means ‘life’s purpose’ – and this is certainly a life-changing commitment for Shezmin, who runs Nia alongside her full-time job at BCS.

“Bunzl Catering Supplies and its partner suppliers are very supportive of my commitment to Nia Children’s Foundation” says Shezmin, “I was delighted when Rubbermaid approached BCS with the idea of a special sales promotion, where the cash-earned is donated directly to Nia. It’s a fantastic way to build our relationship with Rubbermaid, we can talk about their fantastic products in the marketplace and grow sales, all whilst raising money for charity”.

Rubbermaid Commercial Products is an ISO 9001:2000 manufacturer of innovative, solution-based products for commercial and institutional markets worldwide, including foodservice. Rubbermaid is part of Newell Brands – which holds a global portfolio of brands.

Nia Children’s Foundation provides 765 children with breakfast and lunch. It costs £5 to feed a child for one month and this buys around 20 meals. For the price of a coffee and a muffin in the UK you can feed a child for a whole month whilst delivering a chance of education at the same time. Fully volunteer run, over 97 per cent of the money Nia raises goes towards helping the children. The remaining 3 per cent is spent on bank transfer fees to get the money to where it is most needed.

Innovate

Innovate e-updates signup

Signup to our monthly Innovate e-updates, the latest news and insight delivered straight to your inbox